This first aid course is specifically designed to meet the first aid needs of bushwalkers, wilderness guides, and people who work or live in remote locations. The course covers everything from comprehensive first aid treatments to aeromedical evacuation, long-term care, self-care and contingency planning. This course is focused on the safety of the first aider and extended care of an ill or injured casualty where help is likely to be delayed or inaccessible.
Assessment is through a combination of practical first aid activities and a written test paper. You will be required to demonstrate CPR on a manikin on the floor.
Students that have completed Provide First Aid within the previous 12 months may request an exemption from day one of the course.
Book your course in a location convenient to you by selecting the region in the calendar below.
- Planning and preparing
- Managing the remote situation
- Prolonged care of casualties and self
- Infection control in remote situations
- Managing the deteriorating casualty
- Managing injuries and illness
- Lifting and moving casualties
- Bites and stings
- Emergency communications
- Rescue preparation and evacuation
HLTAID001 Provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation
HLTAID002 Provide basic emergency life support
HLTAID003 Provide first aid
HLTAID005 Provide first aid in remote situations
Training Materials Provided
First aid publication, bandages and plastic CPR wallet card.
Recommended recertification period
St John Ambulance recommends, as per the First Aid in the Workplace Code of Practice and the Australian Resuscitation Council (ARC) guidelines, that first aid skills are renewed every three years and resuscitation skills are renewed every 12 months.
Recommended Product/First Aid kits
- Keyring face shield or face mask
- Personal, Small, Medium or Large Leisure Kit (for the home and car)
- Standard or Medium Workplace Kit (for industry)
- Off-Road 4WD Kit, Recreational Marine Kit and Motoring Kit (for the great outdoors)
- Envenomation Bites and Stings Kit
Viewing sessions for:
There are no available sessions for this period