Health care volunteers offer assistance and companionship to patients during their stay in hospital.
The service operates predominately Monday to Friday at Logan Hospital and Caboolture Hospital, with most volunteers electing a regular day or shift.
Duties vary according to the facility
- Bring a smile to a patient’s face by providing bedside companionship
- Share a favourite book or offer a hand massage to patients
- Provide information and assistance to patients and visitors
- Offer much needed administrative and reception support
- Lend a helping hand to new parents
- Join in the fun with children’s playtime programs
Health Care volunteers require
- National Police Check (organised by St John)
- Blue Card (organised by St John)
- Current first aid certificate or willingness to obtain one through St John
- Good communication skills
- Awareness of patient privacy, confidentiality and cultural differences
- Willingness to work with staff and be part of a team